Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Soulfest feature: Common on "The Light"


Common is heading our way as part of the lineup for Soulfest, happening October 26. He's playing alongside the likes of Maxwell, Angie Stone, D'Angelo, Anthony Hamilton, Aaradhna, and Che Fu.

"Complex’s Magnum Opus series continues with light being shown on Common’s 2000 breakthrough single. Com speaks about working with Dilla, not doing punches, and sampling Bobby Caldwell. Interviews with Erykah Badu, Frank Nitt, and Bob Power are included.

“It was one of those songs that when you’re really pouring out heart, it’s just coming from your soul… I just had to let the truth come out,” Common says of “The Light.” “I was really grownin’ into my own. That stage of my life was… really learning’ who I was, being able to express myself… trying to find that pure place within me.”


No comments: